Community forums

One base, multiple rover HW/SW requirements

Hello,

I am planning to use a single base multiple rovers configuration for mobility based applications. For the same I would like to use a group of tiny-RTKs/XL RTKs. I have few doubts and I need some clarifications. They are as below:

1. Software for configuration of the Hardware (ucenter from ublox? or some other)

2. My configuration would have Data Link LoRa RN2483. This is for the broadcast of RTCM 3.0 messages to the rovers from the base. Is the data link compatible with the RTK hardware ? (eg. using one RN2483 at base and transmitting the same to RN2483 on rovers)

3. If question 2. is valid, what are the precautions to be taken and the additional configuration that has to be made?

4. Would like to have GNSS antenna suggestions for good accuracy with the Tiny RTK.

5. Tiny/XL RTK and why? (Probably XL for the base and tiny for rovers. I guess XL does not need an external GNSS antenna (has a passive one inbuilt). Is this correct? )

Thanks !

Software for configuration of the Hardware (ucenter from ublox? or some other)
-> yes you have to use u-center

My configuration would have Data Link LoRa RN2483. This is for the broadcast of RTCM 3.0 messages to the rovers from the base. Is the data link compatible with the RTK hardware ? (eg. using one RN2483 at base and transmitting the same to RN2483 on rovers)
-> you can use any serial telemetry module such as Bluetooth, ESP8266, Xbee, 433Mhz radio modem…keep in mind the base RTK GPS needs to send to the rover about 15kb/s of data

Would like to have GNSS antenna suggestions for good accuracy with the Tiny RTK.
-> https://drotek.com/shop/en/antennas/797-gpsglonassbeidougalileo-tw3742-tallysman-antenna.html

Tiny/XL RTK and why? (Probably XL for the base and tiny for rovers. I guess XL does not need an external GNSS antenna (has a passive one inbuilt). Is this correct? )
-> I advice you to use XXL RTK base and Tiny on rover side.

Hello Mr. Jerome,

Thanks for your reply and for providing the information.

For question 2. can the Data Link LoRa RN2483 be used for single base multiple rovers setup? I would like to have a bigger coverage area. I think other data links like Bluetooth, Xbee would have a lesser range.

Another question regarding the GNSS antenna: Is it possible to use a passive antenna with the Tiny RTK ? What are the requirements for the passive antenna if one can be used ?

Thanks !

Dear moderator,

The last question of HAN (May 29) still remains open:
Hardware and software configuration of a single base-multiple rover design with long range transmitters.

Would be possible have advice on a Dortek backed solution ?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
The XBee seems to be the best solution. We don’t advice to use LORA modulation because the bandwith is not enough for RTK applications.